viBe works to empower underserved teenage girls to write and perform original theater, video and music about the real-life issues they face daily. We provide a safe, creative space for under-served girls to express their voices, take on challenges and gain the self-confidence necessary to succeed personally, artistically and academically. viBe empowers girls through intensive, free programs, which engage and inspire them to write, create, publish, direct and perform personal and truthful collaborative theater and music.
Since 2002, our more than 60 productions have brought free theater, live musical performances, videos and radio plays to diverse audience members, changing their perceptions about the kind of art that young women can create, and what can be achieved through collaborative, process-based methods.
Our organizational and program objectives include the following qualitative outcomes and opportunities for individual girls. We encourage viBe girls to:
- Express their voices, uncensored, first in a small, nurturing setting and then before a public audience
- Develop literacy and communication skills through writing and revising plays, lyrics, and poetry
- Problem-solve through role-playing
- Build trust, responsibility and leadership skills by working in a collaborative environment
- Cultivate respect in a multicultural setting
- Learn life skills including promptness, completing assignments and honoring commitments
- Learn the power of the written and spoken word and the importance of crafting a message to communicate their ideas. Gaining these fundamental interpersonal and academic skills leads to quantifiable outcomes.